March 13, 2002 International SIG Meeting - Cybermembership
Summary of Presentation by Toby King
Some reasons to consider:
- To reduce publication costs (especially worldwide shipping costs)
- To expand membership
- To forward international strategy
- To respond to member requests
- To better deliver services
- To provide value-added offerings (virtual meetings, forums such as listservs, multi-media)
- To create new revenue sources
Some questions to consider:
- Real cost calculations?
- Access for members in countries where Internet access or bandwidth may be limited
- Development and maintenance of on-line offerings (cost and staff time)
- Languages - should portions of the website be translated?
- Legal liability considerations
- Payments - should on-line payment be instituted?
- What to charge for cybermembership?
- What services should be offered?
- Effect on "traditional" membership